16 March 2016

Finding Out It's a Girl + Her Name

Let's face it, I'm just not good at keeping my own secrets. If you confide in me and ask me to keep your secret, I'm good. I believe that's your info to share - not mine - and I'm all ears for you. But when it comes to keeping my own secrets, good news, etc., you can almost always guarantee I'll spill the beans before I actually wanted to!

With Barrett, we found out he was a boy at our 17 week appointment when we talked my doctor into doing a quick ultrasound right there in the room. We kept the secret between the two of us for just a couple of short days until our gender reveal that weekend. That same weekend, we also shared his name with family and friends.

With Baby Girl Hinton, we just couldn't wait that long to find out the gender. This pregnancy has been very different than the first and we both just had a gut feeling that it was a girl. So, we opted for the genetic testing this time around (we opted out with B) and these tests can tell you the gender of your baby with 99% accuracy. After 11 agonizing days of waiting for the results in the mail, that white envelope with big, red lettering that said, "GENDER RESULTS," finally arrived. Luke let me open it. The first page was a letter from my doctor saying that all genetic testing came back negative for any abnormalities and that the gender results were stapled to this letter. I took a deep breath and flipped page 1 over. Page 2 was a plain white piece of paper with bold, black lettering in the middle of the page that read, "Congrats!! You're having a GIRL!!!" I smiled really big and laughed. Luke said, "Girl??" and I said, "Barrett, you're going to have a little sister!" We were cheering and laughing and poor B started to tear up. He didn't understand what was going on or why mom and dad were being so loud. Someday, it'll be funny that Barrett cried when he found out he was having a sister. :)

So of course, we've decided to share Baby Girl Hinton's name too. Her name has actually been picked out since before we had decided on Barrett's name, around 9 weeks into our pregnancy with B. But it wasn't hard, considering that Luke and I have been together so long. Of course, baby names have come up over the years. But once we paired her first and middle name together, we knew it was the name God has chosen for our little girl, whenever He was to give her to us.

So without any further delay, the name we've chosen for our sweet little girl is...


 
Riley is my husband's middle name. How my all my kiddos keep getting named after their daddy is beyond me. I must like him or something. ;) But seriously, I've always loved the name Riley and think it's so sweet that she'll get to share this with her dad. And Scout is the name of the protagonist in the book To Kill a Mockingbird, one of my favorite books of all time. Since I was a sophomore in high school, I've known that I would name a little girl Scout. In this book, Scout is smart, has a strong faith, and believes in the goodness of people. She loves to ask questions because she truly wants to understand and is more of a tomboy than a girly girl. She's always reminded me a lot of myself as a young girl and has many of the characteristics I've always envisioned my own daughter having.
 
We can't wait to snuggle and kiss and hold our Riley Scout!
 
17wks 5days
 
But now thus says the Lord, He who created you, O Jacob, He who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine."
Isaiah 43:1 ESV
 
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart.
Jeremiah 1:5a NIV

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful name! Can't wait for Riley Scout to grace us with her presence! God bless Hinton family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet name, our prayers go out to your growing family, love you guys so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Roxanne! We love you guys and miss y'all!

      Delete
  3. I love the name! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Riley name is so cute. I know that you are so happy having a baby girl. Just like me, I am dreaming someday to have a baby girl wearing the lovely baby occasion dresses. I hope it will happen someday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really nice post, you should continue this great flow of information sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts! I love comments. :)