05 August 2013

My Before Baby Bucket List

Let's get real, I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world not pregnant right now. At least, that's how it feels anyway. Hey--I'm not complaining. I'm purposely not pregnant now. Luke and I are just starting year three of our five year plan and a baby just isn't on the agenda quite yet (sorry Nana!). So when I came across this article on The Nest, I about screamed, "Thank GOD! An article for people in the same club as me!!"

Side note: This blog post is in no way meant to offend my friends and other bloggers that are pregnant, trying to get pregnant, or are moms now. God's timing is perfect and someday I'll be thrilled to announce that we're expecting. We just aren't ready quite yet and until then, I'm happy to play with and love on your precious babies until my own arrive. :)

{And just a little proof that someday, we'll totally rock this whole baby thing out!}

If you know me, then you know I'm a Type A goal setter and a list maker, so this list of 41 things to do before having a baby definitely intrigued me. I read through it and, although I'm indifferent about a couple of the things listed, for the most part I really liked this list! If you don't want to click through all 41 to-dos within the article, I've re-listed them all below, plus added my own notes and checked off the items Luke and I have already done. I'm definitely going to keep this list top of mind over the next couple of years to make sure I get as many of these things crossed off as possible. Is it a lofty goal? Sure. But to you hit goals by not setting them? Nope! 

The Nest's 41 Things to do Before You Have a Baby:
1. Purchase your dream car.  I'm not a car snob, so I'm good with my 2012 Toyota Camry for now. However, Luke's Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R counts. Especially since he's on #2!
2. Buy a home. We are actually in the very, very early stages of building a house. This is a goal for 2014.
3. Take at least one dream vacation. I've always wanted to go on a cruise to the Caribbean and now that Luke and I will be living so close to a port (Galveston), we're planning a 2014 summer vacay!
4. Take a cross-country trip. Aug/Sept 2013! New Jersey back to Texas!
5. Go to Disneyland and act like kids. We honeymooned at Disneyworld, so I say that counts.
6. Establish your career. Me = check. Luke = still working on this a little bit. We're close to checking this one off completely and God has opened some big doors, but our move back to Texas is changing things up a bit for Luke. He's adapting really well though and God is good!
7. Decide whether you want to be a SAHM. I'm nowhere near thinking about this one right now.
8. Have crazy, carefree sex. And we'll continue to. ;)
9. Address any problems in your relationship. 
10. Discuss how you want to raise your child.  I mean, I guess we have done this a little, but there is probably more we can do here.
11. Be spontaneous. I want to mark this one off, but I'm not. We make last-minute decisions, but we aren't crazy spontaneous. We could vamp it up. 
12. Enjoy an all-nighter. The Nest says to stay out until 4 a.m. and then sleep late the next day. Thanks to NYC, we're good here. :)
13. Invite a friend's child to spend the night. Umm...ok? I keep my dogs alive, does that count?
14. Enjoy Saturday afternoon movie marathons--at the movie theater. I have no desire to do this, but Luke and I have definitely had Saturday afternoon Netflix TV show marathons, so I consider this one done and done.
15. Start and finish any major home renovation projects. See #2. Not going to be needed, yay!
16. Get rid of the clutter. We could benefit from this.
17. Enjoy weekly nights out with your friends. And we'll continue to do so.
18. Relocate to your dream city. NYC! I got as close as I possibly could. And I've worked in my dream city. I'm smiling ear-to-ear that I've accomplished this!
19. Make a list of the books you want to read--and then read them.
20. Have at least one big adventure. This may not be "big" to some, but I really want to go scuba diving. Hoping to knock this out on the Caribbean cruise! And moving to NJ could totally count too.
21. Spend an entire day with each set of your grandparents. Unfortunately, this isn't entirely possible because we've each lost grandparents. But we will love on the ones we've got!
22. Enjoy a splurge. We do this too often, whoops!
23. Become a yogi, master kickboxing, or run a half-marathon. April 2012, Rock and Roll Half Marathon in Nashville (and two more coming up this fall!).
24. Spend time alone on a boat (or just take a cruise together). Yay!! See #3.
25. Perform a random act of kindness. Guess you'll have to trust me on this one. :)
26. Plan and host a surprise party. 
27. Save a 12-month emergency fund. People, be real with me. Have YOU ever done this? SO hard! I'll try, but I'm not hopeful... *fingers crossed* 
28. Kiss under a waterfall. I'm knocking this one out on the cruise too. 
29. Go camping.
30. Take a cooking class together. This is sooo never going to happen, ha!
31. Go to at least one major sporting event. I'm thinking Rio 2016!!! This may be after baby #1 though... 
32. Wear your most expensive clothing as often as possible. I think you have to own expensive clothing to do this.
33. Take a career risk. Check! 
34. Develop a hobby. 
35. Turn your extra bedroom into something fun...before it becomes a nursery. We will plan for both of these items when #2 commences. 
36. Do something outrageously nice for your parents. Isn't giving them grandkids enough? JK Mom!!
37. Make a list of all of the restaurants and bars you've been meaning to check out--and go. Working on this now.
38. Savor every minute of alone time. We already do this. For some reason, Luke and I are both hyper sensitive to this time in our lives and are truly loving it being just the two of us. 
39. Enjoy leisurely, boozy Sunday brunches. 
40. Fly first class. Bleh, whatev.
41. Be the last ones to leave the party or the restaurant. This one is hard. Luke and I are old farts sometimes, ha! But we'll try.

So, that's the list! And I guess it's now my adopted "before baby" bucket list. We've already completed approximately 41% of the list, and I'm thinking that's not bad! Will we check off every to-do before Baby H numero uno? Maybe/maybe not. But I'm excited to try! You know me, Type A, list-making, goal-setting crazy girl over here. :)

12 comments:

  1. This is a great list! I want to make something like this also, great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! I actually had a really good time going through this list. It made me feel like I had a plan, which it definitely my personality! :)

      Delete
  2. Pregnant blogger here--and I agree, I can't believe how many other bloggers that I follow are also pregnant or just had babies!
    And as I browsed your list, I can't believe that I unintentionally have done almost all of those things--except fly first class (we really tried on our honeymoon, but the flight attendants were not having it) and buy a home (we are military and move every 3 years so this might not happen for a while). But that's it!! I guess we were ready to get pregnant--even though I was completely unsure of it at the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go Nicole!!! That is so awesome. I definitely want to be where you are once we get pregnant. :)

      Delete
  3. I love this list! I just posted today that having a blog makes me want a baby...but then I am like noooooo not yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am really thankful we had so many years together before a baby came! and definitely did some fun things like vacations - so thankful for those times because now I know it will be awhile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love you guys!! I know it was later than you wanted to be, but your sweet baby girl's timing was so perfect and precious to watch (from social media). I hope Luke and I get to have a beautiful baby story like y'all do some day!

      Delete
  5. Haha, I'm right there with you. We always said we were on the five year plan, too. Actually, our five year anniversary just passed, so I guess it's a 6 or 7 year plan now :) But, we are working on crossing off #3, 20, and 24 all at the same time as we prepare to leave for a several month long sailing trip! I think we'll be ready when we get back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this! You and I are totally on the same page girl! :)

      Delete

Let me know your thoughts! I love comments. :)