02 October 2014

How We Found Out I Was Pregnant

I've done a terrible job of documenting this first pregnancy so far (sorry Baby H #1!), but I've promised myself that I'll catch up. So let's begin with the story of how I found out I was pregnant...

I found out I was pregnant on July 3rd. I had started my new job about two weeks prior and Luke and I had just temporarily moved into my aunt and uncle's house in Katy while house hunting. I woke up that morning planning to stop by CVS to pick up some drano for the kitchen sink at our office because it was draining slow and realized on my way over that I was about three days late. "Guess I'll pick up a pregnancy test while I'm at it," I thought to myself and I giggled out loud. Not because I truly thought I could be pregnant; I actually thought the exact opposite. Luke and I were about to reach our 3rd anniversary and over the last three years, I'd taken a handful of pregnancy tests. We'd never been "trying," but I'd definitely had those "OMG, could I be pregnant??" moments. And each time, as sure as the grass is green, Aunt Flow showed up either right below or right after I had bought/taken a pregnancy test. I knew this time would be no different.

I strolled into work that morning, handed to drano to the boys so that they could snake the sink, and I sat down at my desk. About 30 minutes into my day I thought, "Eh, now's as good a time as any." I stuck the test into my pocket and headed towards the restroom. I took the test, sat it on top of the toilet paper dispenser, and just hung out. After about three minutes, I picked up the test, knowing that it would say, "Not Pregnant." Was I in for the biggest shock of my life! "PREGNANT." As clear as day. My blood turned cold and I felt like I was going to faint (super sweet, right?). What the whaaatt?! No. Way. I had just started a new job. We had just moved to Houston and into a very temporary living situation. We hadn't found a house yet. How the heck was I going to tell Luke about this?? That was the slowest walk back to my desk. I'm pretty sure I was shaking; I couldn't feel my legs. I'd smile this sly little smile to myself and then panic all over again. Don't get me wrong - deep down, I was excited. But God's timing and our timing were off by a few months. Luke and I had had many discussions about starting a family sooner rather than later, but Miss Type A had a few more ducks she needed to get in a row before something this life changing happened and instead, she had just discovered a little ducky swimming around in her womb. About an hour later, I took a second test (yay for two-packs). Same response. The rest of the day was a blur.

At lunch, I decided that this was my chance to figure out how I was going to tell Luke. I wanted it to be special, but I was freaking out and I knew he would too. Telling him I was pregnant wasn't going to be hugging and kissing and tears (sorry to all you romantics out there, ha!). So, I got in the car and began to drive. At this point in time, I was still very new to the northeast part of Houson, but I knew of a fairly big shopping area. I found a Carter's and walked in. "What could I buy him to tell him the news?" I thought. I looked all over the store and settled on a little girl onesie and a little boy onesie.

Lucky for me, I got to leave work early that Thursday and we had Friday off for 4th of July, so my work day was fairly short. That night, Luke and I were going to meet a friend at church for a young adult worship service, but a traffic accident had I-10 shut down and we ended up having dinner at Rainforest Cafe instead. I thought about telling Luke at dinner, but I hadn't brought my present for him and a public setting wasn't a great idea. I waited until we got home and settled into bed. We were going to watch a movie, but before we started, I whispered to Luke that I had something to tell him and that I was scared. That worried him and he demanded that I tell him what was wrong. I reached into a box where I was storing his gift, grabbed the onesies with positive pregnancy tests wrapped up inside, and handed them to him. "What's this?" he asked. But it didn't take long for him to understand. He was shocked. I teared up. After a few minutes of "What? OMG? How? (well duh) We aren't ready yet! What do we do now??", we just laid there in bed cuddled up to one another taking it all in. Of course, we'd be ok. We knew that. And we knew that God was already writing His story for this child's life. But we were still overwhelmed. Luke laid the onesies on his chest. We prayed and fell into anxious sleep.


Isn't that a sort of a terrible story? Ha! Someday, we're going to have to convince our oldest child that we did, in fact, want and love him/her. We laugh at our initial reaction now. Of course, it took all of about two weeks for us to start thinking of baby names and planning where our kid would go to college. It's so amazing the way parental instinct kicks in almost instantly. Luke began making me power smoothies each morning so that Baby H was getting all the best nutrients and I was being extra particular about my caffeine intake and workouts. For many reasons, we decided to keep this little secret between the two of us for a few weeks before telling family and I'm so glad we did. It was a special few weeks of leaning solely on each other and God and praying over this new creation.

And now? Are you kidding...we are THRILLED! Luke keeps saying, "I can't wait until you're THIS BIG!" and he makes a round shape around his stomach with his arms. I roll my eyes at him. Not sure I want to get that big, babe. ;)  We had our most recent doctor appointment today and everything looks great. We are proud parents, no doubt! Guess you could say we got over our initial shock fairly quickly and fell head over heals for our little nugget even faster.

{17wks 1day}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! I love comments. :)