03 January 2008

My Holiday Break

This Christmas break has been a weird one, which is not unusual for my family. I would almost not even call it Christmas break, I would just call it a break from school. It's not that we don't celebrate Christmas because we do. It's just that my parent's job requires them to work steadily from the beginning of December until the end of April. Can anyone guess their occupation?

My parents own a franchise of Jackson Hewitt Tax Service that is based in Beevile, TX. They've been running this business for 9 or 10 years now. Wow, I just realized how long they have been doing this! They also just bought a second franchise south of Victoria, TX. I think they will have 5 offices running this year and twice that many next year. They rock, what can I say?

However, because of where the peak season of this business falls, Christmas becomes a little frazzled in my family. The four girls will shop for each other and do most of Mom's shopping. It works, we stick together. We do not want Christmas or the reason we celebrate Christmas to be overlooked, we just have to do our best to keep focused. This business is our livelihood. Dad's favorite saying is, "It's for the family." And it's true.

Where most parents work all year long and make an annual income, my parents work maybe five months out of the year and make the same amount or more. God has really blessed my parents with this job because He knew there were four girls to put through college. Times can get really hectic and crazy, but we push through and our parents get to spend 7 full months out of the year with us.

So, with all of that said, Christmas didn't really feel all that much like what most people think Christmas feels like. We went to Christmas at my Dad's side of the family on Christmas Eve after the candle-light service at church. Then, we went to San Antonio for Christmas day with my mom's side of the family. That was about it. Mom said this year that since the Wise Men brought baby Jesus presents after Christmas, that's what we are doing this year. Hitting up the after Christmas sales! That made me laugh.

After Christmas was over, I started working at the main office in Beeville. I really like it because I get to make some money before I go back to school and I'm not sitting at home on my butt like I know I would have been doing if I had stayed in Hallettsville. I file, stamp and label papers and file folders. I shred important documents (that aren't that important anymore!) and answer the phone. I've gotten pretty good at giving the customers legit answers to their tax questions. I'm impressed with myself!

Being in South Texas has been nice in that I've been able to hang out with Luke and Sarah alot. For those of you who don't know who I'm talking about, Luke is my boyfriend that lives in Corpus Christi and Sarah, aka Kubal, is my best friend from Zephyr. Kubal and I have had multiple sleep-overs and Luke and I have been able to spend alot of time together. I think I have decided to move back to South Texas after I graduate from Baylor. I forget how much I love the people and the lifestyle down here. I can't wait! I'm already looking for land to buy!

A couple of other things that happened over the break were the Zephyr Winter Staff Retreat and Amanda's wedding. The retreat was right before Christmas and it was AMESSING to say the least(inside joke)! I got to climb the rock wall, jump off the zipline, shoot skeet, eat some amazing food, listen to some amazing worship and preaching and just reconnect with my Zephyr family. Right after Christmas was Amanda's wedding. Amanda, a friend of mine from Hallettsville, married a Chilean man on the 29th. The wedding was bilingual and beautiful. I'm so glad that Amanda and Christian are happy!

As you can see, my Christmas break wasn't your normal Christmas break. But I am far from normal, so it makes sense. I'm not ready to go back to Waco just yet, but it's just around the corner. I'm going to miss my South Texas and my friends!! When I get back we start Rush 2008. I'm excited about that though; I can't wait for our new baby Tri Delta Pearls! And after school gets going again, I am going to be helping lead a DNow at FBC Katy at the end of January. Life just keeps on coming, I love it!

Thanks for listening to my many words. Blessings.

1 comment:

  1. just when i think you forget to talk about me, you slip in that little bit about FBC Katy. Thats me baby! Thats where im at!

    And you did have Christmas morning with the family, plus one. You cant forget that!

    --bryan

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts! I love comments. :)