11 December 2007

My Loss of Wisdom

This is the story of how I lost my wisdom.

As of last summer, my wisdom teeth had not yet begun to develop. However, this semester they decided to drive their way through my jaw bone and up into my mouth, where the oral surgeon said there was no room. This happened in a matter of about three months. This morning they were taken out. Talk about a crazy experience.

For one, I was very nervous because, as of then, I had never been under anesthesia before. While driving to Victoria where my oral surgeon was, my mother wanted me to call my dad. I asked why and she told me, "I want you to talk to him before you go under just incase you don't come back." I think she meant for it to be funny. I bursted out in tears. Talk about awkward and uncomfortable. I forgave her though.

Anyway, she and my nana took me this morning to the dental office where the procedure was going to take place. My appointment was set for 9:30 a.m. Sometimes when I'm legitimately anxious, I become really quite. I was just sitting in the waiting room and this cute old man, who could barely hear, began talking to me. We talked about the tooth he was having pulled and my wisdom teeth that were about to come out and for some reason, I started to feel a little better. If this guy could have such a relaxed attitude about having his tooth pulled, I figured that I should too. He was funny. He didn't like how uncomfortable the chairs in the waiting room were.

When the nurse called me to go back to the room where the surgery was going to take place, I was feeling alright. I was a little sad because I couldn't get ahold of Luke and I had really wanted to talk to him before the surgery. My nurse's name was Juanita and she was really sweet. The first time she tried to give me an IV (sp?), my blood would not flow. She moved over to my left arm and it worked. Thank God, because I was not going to let her poke me a third time. That's when I started to get a little nervous. I watched her put medicine into the IV and she told me it would start to make me feel very relaxed. My mom was in the room and I think I sort of called out to her, scared about the way I was beginning to feel. The doctor came into the room, my mom left, and the nurse asked me about Luke. That calmed me down and I began to talk about how long we'd been together. And then I was out; I do not remember a thing after that. However, I think I may have come in and out of the anesthesia a little bit because I can remember hearing people talking. Weird, huh?

The next thing I remember, I was getting into the car and telling my nurse how great she had been. I'm pretty sure I sounded like an idiot. I slept all the way home and when we got home that's when the pain hit. However, I took one pain pill and four advil and I'm fine! No, for real, I feel great! I'm even about to go to my sister's basketball game. My mom told me that I can't let my gause hang out of my mouth though. Dang it. Ha!

Overall, it was a way better experience then I had envisioned. I'm glad they took out all four at once though, because I would rather not go through that again.

And that's how I lost my wisdom.

1 comment:

  1. aww poor sara. i forgot you had this going on yesterday.
    --bryan

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts! I love comments. :)