08 July 2012

My First Paleo Meal: Pecan-Crusted Chicken and Fresh Green Beans


 
{My newly organized Paleo pantry}


{And fridge...so colorful!}

After an overwhelming response on my blog, Facebook, and over text/phone with family and friends, Luke and I have decided that we are going to try changing our eating habits and eat Paleo. But before I share my first cooking experience, I want to give you a few of my personal thoughts/opinions about this lifestyle...






1) First off, Paleo isn't some off-the-wall religion. I feel like when people say, "I'm Paleo," it sounds like they are doing weird sacrifices and worshiping vegetables. This is not the case. It also isn't a diet; it's a life-style change. People that eat Paleo are choosing to eat the foods that humans ate as hunters and gatherers: Meat, vegetables, fruits, and nuts. You stay away from wheat, grain, dairy, and sugar.

2) If I am going to stick with this eating style, I will not allow it to ruin fellowship. Yes, I will do my best to cook at home, prepare snacks so that I don't fall off the wagon when hunger strikes, and follow these eating habits to the best of my ability. But if friends ask Luke and I to go out for dinner and the restaurant isn't the healthiest, I'm not going to say, "Oh sorry, we can't go. We're Paleo." That's the kind of dinner when a plate of nachos will be allowed. I don't feel like it would be pleasing to Christ to let something, especially food, affect fellowship.

3) I will not be using the word "cheat." This isn't a diet; it's a lifestyle. If after I've gotten into a Paleo routine, I know what works best for my body, and I'm still craving a piece of chocolate, then I will eat a piece of chocolate. Obviously, this cannot become a habit, but I also believe in living life to the fullest. If a piece of chocolate will get me through that craving, then it's happening.

 
Ok, so these are my first few thoughts. I'm really excited to learn to cook healthy meals with Paleo foods and after a too long trip to HEB Plus yesterday, I had all the ingredients to cook my first Paleo meal: Pecan-crusted chicken and fresh green beans! 
(Recipe for chicken from Everyday Paleo)

P.S. Aren't these maltipoos just too cute?! I was trying to explain to them what Paleo is and they were a little confused. :) {And sorry about my husband's big feet, ha!}
 
Ok, so here it is! My first, home-cooked Paleo meal: pecan-crusted chicken with fresh green beans. It was really good and I totally recommend this recipe, even if you aren't Paleo! You can find it here




So, I guess we're trying this. Wish us luck! 

4 comments:

  1. Yum that looks good!

    We've been thinking about doing this also. You'll have to keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with everything! I love what you said about not letting it ruin fellowship. It doesn't make much sense to me to let something like what you want for dinner ruin a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're making me want to take the plunge! And what do you put on your green beans? They look better than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read the labels on everything for the ingredients. Anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup is a no-no. It takes me hours to grocery shop cause I read the label on everything.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts! I love comments. :)