11 January 2011

One year ago today...

...I began my first day of work as an intern for CBS News in New York, New York. 

I woke up extra early that morning and felt so extremely relieved to have warm clothes to wear to work on my first day. You see, the airlines had lost my luggage the night before and I had to go BACK to the airport at 11 p.m. the same day I arrived in New York to pick it up. What a day that had been... But anyway, back to January 11th...

I picked out a purple dress from Urban Outfitters and black tights with a gray floral pattern on them. I wore my brand new black leather slouchy boots, a black scarf, black leather gloves, and a black pea coat. I know, it was a lot of black, but I was trying to fit in! I was lucky to have another girl in my same BU in NY program to ride the subway with that morning, so I was pretty confident I'd find my way to 57th street. I took the 2/3 and hopped over to the 1 train. So far, so good.


I'll never forget the first time I stepped out of that subway car and walked up the steps to the streets of midtown. Columbus Circle. God, how I miss it. There were people everywhere. No one cared who I was or where I was headed. They all had their own agendas and every one of them was late, or so it seemed. I have never seen so many people walking at such a speed in so many different directions. My travel buddy and I happened to be a little early for our first day of internship (and overly anxious!), so of course, a cup of Starbucks was needed.



I was so nervous to walk into CBS News that morning. I remember standing across the street from the entrance, looking up at a huge picture of Katie Couric on the side of the building and reminding myself to breathe. After all, this was real and I was really about to do this! After my soon-to-be boss was called to confirm that I was allowed upstairs, I walked through the turnstile (which I would eventually get my own swipy tag for). I'll never forget that first trip up the elevator to the CBS Press Office on the 6th floor. I was so excited!


That morning I met the VP of Communications for CBS news, who was to be my immediate supervisor. I also met the publicists for 60 Minutes, 48 Hours, The Early Show, CBS Evening News, and the SVP of Communications, all of whose offices where in the same area as mine. Crazy stuff. I also met Mrs. Stephanie Walker, who to me at the time was Miss Stevie Bittner. My, how much we grow and change in just one short year! {This beautiful lady is now a married woman, but she interned with me at CBS News and this internship would not have been the same without her. My sweet friend, Faith, also interned with us and I'm so jealous of her life, as she continues to live in the Big Apple. I miss these girls!}

And so it began...the best semester of my life.

I learned so much that semester. I learned how to be a professional. I learned how to work in the media. My skin was made much tougher through my many experiences with people who didn't care who I was or where I was from, but rather yet, expected me to get the job done, no matter the circumstances. I grew a lot as a young woman that semester as well. I learned a lot about myself. I learned how tough I was and what resilience really is. I lived on my own, without Luke, without my family, without my friends. Yes, I made friends. Friends that I will share a common bond with forever! But this wasn't the case when I stepped off of the plane that first day in New York.

I made so many incredible memories that semester. I saw 8 Broadway shows. I perfected sitting in a cafe drinking wine with girlfriends for hours at a time. I ran the Brooklyn Bridge on a regular basis. I dominated the subway system. I shopped on Canal Street. I bought my wedding dress at Kleinfeld. I went to the top of the Empire State Building with my fiance and explored the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island with Ashley. My best college friends spent their spring break in New York with me, my best childhood friend visited, my sisters visited once, my mother visited twice. Nothing in this world will ever be able to steal away my love of that incredible city. I left a piece of my heart in New York.


I can't wait to get back there!!!

1 comment:

Let me know your thoughts! I love comments. :)