07 April 2010

Akward Elevator

I don't ride elevators very often in Texas. I guess the opportunity just doesn't present itself of a regular basis. But since I've been living in New York, I ride the elevator. Like, alot. I live of the 7th floor of my dorm building, I work on the 6th floor of the CBS Broadcasting Center, and I go to school on the 7th floor of some random build that I don't know the name of. But I think I've made my point. I ride the elevator multiple times a day.

It's been easy to note a difference between taking the elevator in Texas and taking it in New York. In Texas, if it's just me and one other person in the elevator, I'll strike up a conversation. "How's your day going?" or "Where are you headed?" I'm a talker naturally, but I also think that elevator rides are a good time to share Christ's love by engaging and noticing His people.

BUT NOT IN NEW YORK.

Riding the elevator in New York is awkward. No one looks up at you. No one talks. And if they're riding the elevator alone and you step on, they'll immediately pull out their Blackberry or iPhone and start pretending to be sending some uber important email. I mean, get real dude, I saw you playing Sudoku on your iPhone. These kind of people make me feel awkward by the way they act. And this is saying something since I don't feel awkward very often. Every once in a while, I get up the guts to speak to these anti-social New Yorkers. Sometimes there is a successful,

Me: Hi there.
New Yorker: Hi.
Me: How are you today?
New Yorker: Fine.
Me: Hope you have a nice day.
New Yorker: Thanks.

Other than that, these people refuse friendly conversaion. Oh well, it's not going to keep me from trying! These people need to watch Steel Magnolias. My favorite line from that movie is, "Smile. It increases your face value!"

Hey--make friendly small talk with someone today. You never know when they could use a friend and you may be the only Jesus that person ever sees. Happy Wednesday everyone!

**P.S. Sorry for the lack of posting recently. I've been busy with a lot of tedious work, but I have a lot to catch y'all up on. Be looking for a new (long) post soon!**

1 comment:

  1. LMAO I love ur perspective. That's a normal elevator ride to a New Yorker like me. Ur such a southern belle
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts! I love comments. :)