22 April 2010

My Love Affair

Music has always played a very big role in my life. I remember as a little girl sitting the the front seat of my parents' suburban with my feet up on the dashboard singing along to Amy Grant's, "Baby, Baby" or knowing every word to every song by The Commodores or Johnny Cash, two of my dad's favorites. I also listened to a lot of Celine Dion (thanks momma!), Jock Jams (yes, we owned every volume!), and Shania Twain (somewhat disappointing now). But anyway, you get the picture. Music has played role in my life from the very beginning.
It wasn't until about junior high that I realized my true love for music. I mean, come on, who wouldn't have come to this realization by listening to the Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, etc.?! Ok, but seriously, this was about the time that I started to really appreciate music. I took my Discman with me on every junior high out-of-town volleyball or basketball game and always had a newly burned cd mix in hand, titled appropriately for each individual trip, of course. But these mixes were not limited to boy band music; I listened to all sorts of music: 90's Country, Rock and Roll Oldies, Motown, Alanis Morisette, Madonna, Rod Stewart, and tons of 90's Alternative. There has to be so much more, but this is what I can think of off the top of my head at this moment. It was also around this time that I started singing pretty regularly in church. So not only was my library of music growing, but so was my voice. Now, by no means am I the next (fill in the blank with your favorite singer), but I can carry a tune pretty well. I've sang and performed in choir and individually throughout high school and college. Ok, I know, I know. You get it. Sara loves music. Sorry:) Times to focus in on my whole point of this blog post.
Here's ultimately where I'm going with all this music talk: Music is more than just a love of mine. It give me words when I can't find the right ones. I definitely think of myself as a lyrical person. I journal, write, sing, read. I love words and sewing them together in a beautiful way. When you speak to me, choose your words wisely, because I will probably read a lot into them. And if I ever come to a point where I can't find the words to say what I'm thinking or feeling, I can always find a song that says it better than I could anyway.
Worshipping the Lord through song is the most intimate way I talk to my God. Whether I'm actually singing or just listening to the music with my eyes closed, this is when I feel I'm the closest to Him. Many worship songs give me the words to speak to explain to the Lord exactly what I'm feeling when I can't find the right words myself. Have you ever wondered how that works? I mean, how does David Crower or Casting Crowns or Tenth Avenue North know how I'm feeling? I believe the Lord has a hand in this:)
Last night, I was listening to my iPod before falling asleep and I had it on my worship music playlist. Here are some of my favorite lyrics from the songs I was listening to. If you've never heard one or more of these, please download it/them. Great lyrics, great sound, and an even greater God to sing to.
"Your love is extravagant
Your friendship, it is intimate
I feel I'm moving to the rhythm of Your grace
Your fragrance is intoxicating in the secret place
Cause Your love is extravagant."
-Your Love Is Extravagant, Casting Crowns
"Hey now, this is my desire
Consume me like a fire, 'cause I just want something beautiful
To touch me, I know that I'm in reach
'Cause I am down on my knees.
I'm waiting for something beautiful
Oh, something beautiful."
-Something Beautiful, Needtobreathe
"So I come boldly, boldly to Your throne,
Confident in Christ alone.
I come boldly, boldly to Your throne,
Knowing Your greace is greater
Than anything I could ever need."
-Boldly, Branch
On another note (no pun intended), I'm also struggling to pick out First Dance, Father/Daughter, Mother/Son songs for mine and Luke's reception. I have SO MANY love songs that I think go with our story. I want this song to mean something, be romantic and perfect. And how am I supposed to pick just one song for my dad and I to dance to?? I don't like the corny, traditional songs. I want to pick something original, something sepcial. This will be a tough one for me and I'll continue to dwell on until someone forces me to choose.
Well, I now that I've gone on and on about my love affair with music, I leave you with this awesome video of Amy Grant performing "Baby, Baby." Yes, you're welcome:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! I love comments. :)