17 March 2010

My Papaw

I am extremely blessed to have the greatest Papaw in the world! After a wonderful phone conversation with him on the phone last night, I was motivated to blog about my Papaw and what he means to me.

Some of my favorite childhood memories are from my weekends spent at my Nana and Papaw's house. Nana would take me shopping and Papaw was always working on some kind of project outside. Trimming trees, mowing the yard, something. We'd watch a lot of TV and there was never anything "good" to eat in their house because, let's face it, grandparents don't have Cool Ranch Doritos in their pantry. They have Saltine crackers and grapefruit juice, blah!

I loved when my Nana would get out her ukulele and sing "Big Rock Candy Mountain." I never knew all the words to the song, but my Papaw did and I thought that was so cool! And Papaw, he tells the BEST stories. He used to be a Marine and flew fighter jets (is that the right terminology, Papaw?). I still to this day love listening to Papaw tell stories about his life; where he lived, the adventures he went on, the lessons he learned. I never knew there was so much one person could teach another. Papaw has taught me so much in my short almost 23 years of life.

As I got a little older and started high school, Papaw used to help me do my math homework over the phone. Every high school girl needs a Papaw that is a pro in Calculus, let me tell you! I'd be one of the ONLY kids in my class with all of the answers to our homework and people would want to know how I'd figured them out. I don't think I ever let them in on my "secret weapon." Get your own Papaw, people! One of his favorite phrases to say to me back then, and even now, was "Work, work, work. Learn, learn, learn." This is one of those principles that never dies. For the rest of my life, I will know that as I work hard and learn as much as I can, I'm making my Papaw proud.

Last night, I was having a rough night. I missed Texas, my family, my friends, and Luke. I called my mom and she happened to be in Victoria, visiting my Papaw. She had to get on the road to go home to Hallettsville, so she had him call and talk to me. We caught up on life, my time in New York, my internship, where I live, my upcoming graduation, marriage, etc. He told me he got my save-the-date in the mail, which was cool. I asked him how he was and of course, he's keeping busy. Still working, still learning. He also told me that he's been keeping up with me and my sisters via facebook. He even reads my blog regularly! How awesome is my Papaw?! It was good for my heart to talk to Papaw last night. I miss him, and all of my family, very much. Talking with him, however, reminded me that I am so blessed to have such an amazing family and support system. I can't wait to visit both my Nana and my Papaw when I get back to Texas!!

Before we got off the phone last night, Papaw said, "Chin up girl! Only 6 more weeks. You can do it!" That is so like him:) It's also exactly what I needed to hear and from just the right person.

Papaw,
I love you very much. You mean more to me than you'll ever know or more than I've ever told you. Thanks for all your help in Algebra, Geometry, Pre-Cal and Calculus. I couldn't have done it with out you! I dedicate my last 6 weeks of this time in New York to you. I promise that I will "work, work, work and learn, learn, learn." I want to make to you proud. Thanks for sharing your life stories and wisdom with me. You're an awesome role model and I'm so blessed to know you and call you my Papaw. I love you.
Love,
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! I love comments. :)