05 April 2011

Katie Couric

When Katie Couric announced in 2006 that she was leaving The Today Show to take the position of anchor and managing editor of the CBS Evening News, I was about 2 months from my high school graduation. I knew I was headed to Baylor for college, but I really had no idea what I wanted to major in, let alone thought that I'd take a news internship in NYC for my last semester of college. Everyone was making such a big deal about KC becoming the first solo woman to be hired as the anchor of a weekday evening news program for one of the three major broadcast networks in the country. However, at this point in my life, the news just didn't concern me. Although I thought Katie Couric sounded like a pretty impressive woman, I had no idea that just 4 short years later I would be interning for the same network in the same city that had hired this woman and made history.

Katie has definitely had her ups and downs as the anchor of the CBS Evening News. Many people have criticized her and questioned this career move. However, she has also played a huge role in the media and covered some incredible stories. While interning at CBS News, I learned how incredibly smart KC really is. I am proud to say that I worked in the same building, in the same city, and with the same publicists that Katie Couric worked with on a daily basis. I hope some of that brilliance and drive rubbed off on me one way or another! Oh, and of course, KC and I are sisters at heart. Delta love Katie!!

Today I read an interesting article in the New York Times online. It covered an interview in which Katie Couric talked about a few regrets she's had over the years. Here's an exerpt (and my favorite part) from the interview:

Interviewer: At your first job at CNN, the head of the network, Reese Schonfeld, famously said you just didn’t possess the gravitas to be in TV news.

KC: Which I think is Latin for “testicles” by the way. But to give this some perspective: I was 23 years old. 


Don't you just love this?! In her first job and at the age of 23, people were questioning Katie Couric's capability to cover the news. As a strong-willed and "perky" young woman, Katie has created a legacy that will forever motivate young women like myself to set goals and believe that they can achieve anything they set their minds to. I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that when someone tells me I can't accomplish something, this only adds fuel to the fire and pushes me to prove them wrong. I'd like to the KC and I are similar in this way. :)




I can't wait to purchase Katie Couric's new book! I love books that are made up of many people's advice and life experiences. I'm very much looking forward to April 12th. You better believe I'll be one of the first to walk out of Barnes & Noble with this one!

I also can't wait to see if the rumor that Katie will become the host of a syndicated talk show is true. I could TOTALLY see her doing something like this! Good luck with the new book, possible new show, and all your future endeavors KC!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts! I love comments. :)